The inquires go a little something like this: Whaaa? I didn't know you wrote screenplays. I thought you were just into dead dolls, or Betty Crocker, or John Waters, or underwear, or goldendoodles, or what have you.
I know it's confusing because I don't do just one thing - like write books. Or two things - like documentary filmmaking and screenwriting. I do all those things because a good story is a good story is a good story. Oh and I'm also a historian because that's what my degrees are in. Yup, I graduated from grad school too.
So here's a down and dirty lowdown on me - Susan Marks. But feel free to contact me if you still have questions about my work.
- I wrote the book, Finding Betty Crocker: The Secret Life of America's First Lady of Food. (Simon & Schuster, 2005 hardcover, University of Minnesota Press, 2007 paperback) If you want the book, go here.
- I wrote another book about the history of Band-aids. That was sort of a strange gig.
- I wrote a history book on Minnesota. Go here if you love MN history and archival photos.
- I wrote another history book on Munsingwear - the underwear company.
- I'm currently writing two novels. But I can't tell you what they are about just yet.
- Finding Poppy Pepperdine - 2013 Quarter-finalist for Academy Nicholl Fellowship in Screenwriting and a few other screenwriting competitions.
- Bridal Bingo
- 2 work-in-progress screenplays - currently untitled
DOCUMENTARY FILMS (with filmmaking partner John Kurtis Dehn)
- The Betty Mystique - a documentary film about the history of Betty Crocker
- Of Dolls & Murder - a documentary film about the Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death, narrated by John Waters. Get it here!
- Inside the Speakeasy Dollhouse - a documentary film about artist Cynthia von Buhler and her Speakeasy Dollhouses. Get it here!
- Her Miniature Life of Crime - a documentary film about Frances Glessner Lee and her dollhouse crime scenes. (currently in production)
- 2014 Minnesota State Arts Board Grant
- 2013 McKnight Media Arts Fellowship
- 2012 Jerome Artist Grant
- 2007 Jerome Artist Grant
- Many film festival awards for Of Dolls & Murder and The Betty Mystique
I know I left out a lot, but I think I hit the highlights. Thanks for your interest and support in my art and career. It means a lot to me.
To show my thanks I am leaving you with some images from my various gigs for the sole purpose of entertaining you - because you are awesome.
|"Let's Get Down to Business" ad from my book In the Mood for Munsingwear|
|Looks like Author Susan Marks is giving it away for free. ;-)|
|Sock Monkey Betty Crocker made by my talented mother, Alice Marks|
|Sadly, this Corn-Sausage Pie ad did not make it into my book.|
I'm Sorry Cake ad from my book Finding Betty Crocker. This image also hangs on the wall in my kitchen.
|My book in the dollar bin! aka the glamorous life.|